Friday, September 23, 2011

The Basics Part One- The bug out bag.

The bug out bag, get out bag, or "ready set go" bag as it is called in our house, is one of the most vital tools preppers can have in their home. If I was to suggest to someone who has never prepped before and might want one thing that they can do to be prepared today it would be a BOB (bug out bag's initials.) In most of the "survival" situations we face today a bug out bag is what we want. A simple bag loaded with all we need to survive for 72 hours, or 3 days. Not only are BOBs good for getting out of a situation, but if you have no other preps you should be able to live out of your bug out bag for 3 days at the least, and if you plan properly it could help you longer than that. Imagine if there was an earthquake in your area and power was shut off, or if a hurricane came through and the damage was worse than expected. After you run out of the beannie weenies and juice boxes you picked up at the store a few days earlier you can crack open the old BOB. You will be safe in your home instead of needing to go to some overcrowded, scary, and lawless, shelter.

So how, you might ask do I get one of those BOBs? I have seen them on the Red Cross website and they are expensive! Easy answer, make it yourself! All you need is a good book bag to start, and remember this is only for one person, each family member needs their own bag, including any young children. Here is an example to get you started:
My BOB (the mom)
+A change of clothing (something comfortable but also durable, jeans, a long sleeve tee and a sports bra)
+3 days worth of underwear and socks (I like clean underwear, but hey, that's just me)
+2 washcloths and one hand towel (I don't think I will be able to take a bath in those first few days, but I will want to be able to wash my face)
+A pair of tennis shoes tied to the outside of the bag (a simple pair of no names from walmart cost me $15)
+A simple dollar store first aid kit augmented with a few items such as triple antibiotic ointment, an entire bottle of ibuprofen, allergy medicine, and an entire bottle of anti diarrhea medicine (never underestimate the seriousness of developing water or food borne diarrhea in a survival situation)
+Water, this can be in bottles or if you can afford it many survival supply websites sell what look like juice boxes but are actually long term water storage containers (everyone is different so figure your needs and add just a little extra)
+A flashlight and extra batteries
+A few glow sticks (kept in their original package)
+A lighter
+A decent pocket knife or multi tool
+A whistle
+A space blanket (is great for heat and signaling, and in its original package is usually the size of a deck of cards)
+A bandanna (I never go without one, and nether should you! but that's another blog)
+5 trash bags (hundreds of uses, trash, waste disposal, use in conjunction with your space blanket as a sleeping bag)
+A roll of duct tape
+A rain poncho
+An entire package of individually packaged antibacterial wipes (you can get a 24 pack at the dollar store)
+Toiletries (a travel toothbrush/toothpaste kit, a small liquid soap, tissues to double as toilet paper, and feminine care products)
+Bullfrog (a popular sunblock/insect repellent combo to save space)
+Some SPF chap stick
+A book or puzzle book
+A list of your emergency contacts, a local map, your out of state contacter info (we will discuss this in another blog), and a list of local shelter sites/evacuation routes, all in a sturdy Ziploc bag.
+Another Ziploc with an individual picture of each person in your group with their stats on the back.
+A simple mess kit
+Food
Of course, food is where it gets tricky so I'm going to say this; 3 meals a day for 3 days plus snacks. You can get those high calorie meal bars but they are (for lack of a better word) gross. If I'm already scared, cold, hot, or stressed out I don't want a meal bar to be all I get all day. I want decent food I'm used to and I want it easy to prepare. So here is my suggestion, check out the following videos of how to make your own MRE's (meals ready to eat kits) and decide what works best for you. Along with enough MREs for three days I highly recommend one extra thing, a few packs of peanut butter crackers, they will fill you up and if added to your other foods they can often buy you an extra day.

Some of my favorite build your own MRE kit videos:
Make your own MREs by City Survivalist
I love the idea of dropping in a few bullion cubes for a warm drink.

Getting ready for the storm Part 2 by porchpatrol.
Great video, I think the idea about keeping restaurant condiment packets for homemade MREs is great, it saves money and eliminates waste.

And yes, I know I forgot something, even at the time of creating this post I know I forgot something important. The truth is the best way to create a BOB is to decide what YOU will need. I don't have a baby so I won't need diapers. My blood sugar gets low sometimes so I will take some extra food and some hard candy. I don't have any medicine I take daily, but if you do by all means ask your doctor for an emergency one month's dose, explain your reason and it's likely he will help, provided it's not a narcotic. So let me know what you have in your BOB or if you think of anything I forgot, add a comment, you might just help someone.

Stay alert, stay awake, keep reading, and have a great weekend!
prepgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment